TV

Emotional Oritsé Williams opens up on three years of rape accusation ‘torment’

Emotional Oritsé Williams has opened up for the first time on being "tormented" by a rape accusation for three years.

Oritsé, 32, was accused of raping a fan in 2016 following a gig in Wolverhampton and charged with the offence in September 2018

He was unanimously cleared of rape in May by a jury at Wolverhampton Crown Court after two hours and 17 minutes of deliberation.

The former JLS singer spoke about his ordeal for the first time on Tuesday's Good Morning Britain and revealed he had not been able to work for three years.

"It's been horrific," confessed Oritsé. "I haven't been able to work for three years. I had this accusation hanging over my head every single day from when I woke up to when I went to sleep. It's just completely tormented me.


"But I had two choices, let it drag me under and destroy me or stay strong and hope the truth would come out, which it eventually did.

"The worst moment has been the effect it's had on my family. I tried to protect my mother for the whole thing. When you’re in the public eye you can’t stop it.

"My family as so loving. I've had so much unconditional love and support from them all and my friends.

"Even now public and my fans have been amazing. Come out and openly supported me. It has been trial by social media."


Oritsé said he has sympathy with those calling for those accused of crimes to have anonymity.

He told the GMB hosts: "I absolutely would have wanted my name to get cleared as quickly a possible and move forward with my life with my family.

"We have to continue to encourage real victims to come forward. There has to be consideration on both sides."

During his hellish last few years, Oritsé has thrown himself into his music and poured blood, sweat and tears into song writing.

He said: "I’ve had a lot of time on my hands over the last few years. I've been reconnecting as a song writer and immersing myself in my music. I believe I've written some of the best songs of my life in this period.

"I’ve poured my heart out into these songs, bled all over them. At some point when the time is right I want to share them with people."

Days after his acquittal, Oritsé’s £3million mansion burned down in a suspected arson attack.

The singer explained that he had handed the house over to his ex-partner when they had split but was left devastated.

He explained: "I had so many amazing memories there with my family and friends. Seeing what happened to somewhere I once loved was devastating. There’s an ongoing police investigation so hopefully we will get some answers."

Last month, Marvin Humes said his pal and former bandmate was “getting his confidence back” after being cleared of rape.

The singer said his friends’s three-year ordeal ended in the “right result”.

He told The Sunday Mirror: “He is working on himself at the minute and getting his confidence back.

“I have no doubt that whatever he goes into next, he will do great.

“He’s doing really well considering he has moved on from a terrible three years, a horrible three years, and he has come out the other side with the right result. He is getting on with his life and moving forward.

“One thing about us boys, everyone knows how close we are and we give each other support in any situation.

“We are like family.”

*Good Morning Britain airs weekdays on ITV at 6am

Source: Read Full Article