Music

Katie Waissel plans to sue X Factor boss Simon Cowell after ‘ruining her life’

  • Bookmark
  • Get the best celeb gossip with the Daily Star Showbiz newsletter

    We have more newsletters

    Former X Factor star Katie Waissel has shared she plans to sue Simon Cowell and his company behind the former ITV talent show.

    The starlet, 36, who appeared on the programme alongside the likes of One Direction, Matt Cardle and Rebecca Ferguson in 2010 has gone on to launch a completely different career.

    Campaigner Katie has since retrained as a lawyer after suffering from posttraumatic stress disorder following her appearance on the show, where she placed seventh.

    READ MORE: Katie Waissel claims X Factor had 'preventative measures' in place to stop her exiting

    Katie who has also launched The OWHL Foundation which hopes to "oversee the welfare, human rights and liberty within the creative industry", has also claimed the show has "ruined" her life.

    Speaking to The Sunday Times, she explained that she had been going through seven boxes of documents relating to her time on the programme which came off the air in 2018.

    The singer who has previously appeared on Celebrity Big Brother claims the boxes are filled with "evidence" of the data that the show had held about her, which she was subsequently given access to after requesting it.

    She told the publication: "I am pursuing a civil case of personal injury under negligence, which pertains to the duty of care," before adding that she and her legal representatives have sent a letter to Syco Entertainment, which Simon Cowell owns.

    Katie has since completed a postgraduate law course at BPP University in London, having won a scholarship despite not having the degree which was required.

    Now, the mum-of-one is able to carry out work as a paralegal or start training with the hopes of becoming a solicitor or barrister.

    Speaking previously to the Daily Star, Katie who was sent death threats during her time on the show urged bosses behind the programme to reconsider a potential relaunch.

    She said: "The new Channel 5 bosses also have the same duty of care to the contestants and the general public as to what is broadcasted.

    "I would hope that they would have done their due diligence checks on everybody (TV show-wise) when onboarding a new tv show and I would highly recommend to re-look into any potential cause for concern as to moving forward with a tv show that is under current investigation."

    Meanwhile, former stars including Cher Lloyd, Matt Cardle and Rebecca Ferguson have also addressed their times on the programme, with Cardle claiming he was "being used".

    Former star George Shelley has alleged that he was told not to "come out" while on the programme with Union J, amid fears the group would be labelled Union Gay.

    Daily Star approached Simon Cowell and representatives for Syco for comment.

    READ NEXT:

    • X Factor's Grace Davies reveals she and Rak-Su 'fought' with bosses backstage

    • X-Factor's Rak-Su told they'd be 'bigger than One Direction' before devastating row

    • X Factor's Rak-Su's Myles says bitter Syco fall-out was 'massive weight off shoulders'

    • Ben Haenow slams X Factor for lacking 'care' when competing on the show

    • Big Brother
    • X Factor
    • ITV
    • Simon Cowell
    • London

    Source: Read Full Article