Get the best celeb gossip with the Daily Star Showbiz newsletter
We have more newsletters
“Houston, we have a problem” has been named as the most misquoted movie line of all time.
The famous quip, made by Kevin Bacon’s character Jack Swigert in the 1995 film Apollo 13, is actually “Ah Houston, we’ve had a problem.”
Darth Vader’s “Luke, I am your father” from The Empire Strikes Back, which should actually be “No, I am your father” is also in the top 10.
READ NEXT: Haunted soap sets – Corrie stars return as ghosts to eerie EastEnders encounters
And many also don’t realise the real Humphrey Bogart quote in Casablanca, is “Play it Sam, play ‘As Time Goes By’” rather than simply “Play it again, Sam”
The study was carried out by streaming board game Clipology, where viewers can guess the most iconic quotes from popular films and TV shows.
But despite the quote being one of the most famous in film history, fewer than half could correctly guess the line from Apollo 13.
The study also found that 29% of British film buffs have fallen into arguments over misheard quotes, with 37% resorting to searching online to check what the actual quote was.
It also emerged that 38 per cent of those polled via OnePoll, use film quotes in real life, with “Here’s Johnny” from the horror classic The Shining and “If you build it, he will come” from Field of Dreams* among the most popular.
Boyd Hilton, TV and film expert, said: “When there are so many brilliant movie quotes to remember, it’s understandable for people to get some muddled up, even some of the classics from the golden era of world cinema.
“Even when a line has only been slightly altered, it can change the context of the whole movie.”
David Norman, General Manager at Clipology, added: “There is a whole collection of films that relate to real-life scenarios, so it’s completely normal for people to use or remember the famous lines during their daily lives.
“We’re excited to launch Clipology, so why not test your movie knowledge against your friends and family to see who comes out on top.”
Top 10 correct movie lines which are often misquoted:
1. Ah Houston, we’ve had a problem – Apollo 13,
2. If you build it, he will come – Field of Dreams
3. Magic mirror, on the wall, who is the fairest one of all – Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
4. Play it Sam play ‘As Time Goes By’ – Casablanca
5. You’re going to need a bigger boat – JAWS
6. It was Beauty killed the Beast – King Kong (1933)
7. No, I am your father – Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
8. You’ve got to ask yourself one question: ‘Do I feel lucky?’ Well, do ya punk? – Dirty Harry
9. Fasten your seat belts, it’s going to be a bumpy night – All About Eve
10. Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape – Planet of the Apes
For more of the latest showbiz news from Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.
- Little Shop of Horrors cast now – punched in head, death at 43 and Hollywood divorce
- Mary Shelley's Frankenstein stars now – tragic deaths, co-star romance and Harry Potter
- Dracula stars now – Harry Potter fame, criminal conviction and tragic deaths
Source: Read Full Article