“This was the most challenging quarter in the 100-year history of AMC,” CEO Adam Aron said as Q2 revenue dropped nearly 99%
AMC Entertainment on Thursday reported results for what CEO Adam Aron called “the most challenging quarter in the 100-year history of AMC.”
The cinema chain reported a loss of $561.2 million for the three-month quarter, which ended on June 30. The company’s movie theaters have been shuttered worldwide since mid March. During the same quarter a year ago AMC reported earnings of $49.4 million.
AMC’s per-share loss was $5.38. Analysts tracking the stock via Yahoo! Finance expected the company’s loss per share to slightly better at $4.29
Revenue in the second quarter was just $19 million, down roughly 99% from the $1.5 billion in revenue AMC reported last year. Analysts were anticipating $11.9 million in revenue.
“It should be no surprise to anyone that with our operations shut the world over, and almost no revenues coming in the door, this was the most challenging quarter in the 100-year history of AMC. That is why the progress the entire AMC team made since the second quarter began is all the more important and impressive,” Aron said in a statement.
“A once in a century event has transformed 2020 into a brutal year, and movie theatre businesses have been hit particularly hard. Even so, as we look ahead, we remain optimistic about AMC’s long term future,” he continued. “Theatrical exhibition has always been resilient, and we are confident that at AMC we are taking the right steps to emerge from this crisis and to thrive once again as the leader in our industry.”
More to come…
Source: Read Full Article