Gary Lineker talks about choosing the right pair of glasses
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Gary Lineker, 61, has released a tweet to his followers, claiming that Buckingham Palace have spent a lot of money on the Prince Andrew and Virginia Giuffre case. This comes after reports in the Telegraph of the Queen footing part of the bill after Prince Andrew came to a financial settlement with the case yesterday.
A civil case was brought against Prince Andrew in the US by Virginia.
Prince Andrew has consistently denied the claims.
She had been suing the Duke of York, claiming he sexually assaulted her on three separate occasions when she was 17, which he denied.
On Tuesday, an official court document stated that the two had reached an out-of-court settlement.
TV presenter and former footballer Gary took to Twitter to share his views on the matter.
He said: “Reports that Palace have spent as much as £12m on Giuffre. I’m not sure it’s enough to avoid going down.”
He received replies from journalists and fans hitting out at him for “making jokes” on the subject of sexual assault.
@Jonnytickle, a journalist for Radio Times wrote: “This is not funny, Gary”
Gary responded, saying: “Just spotted who you work for,” with a laughing emoji.
@Bethking61 penned: “It was a civil case. No one will go to prison. It could only ever be about money. That’s how it works.”
@JamesWallace69 said, in defence of the Match of the Day pundit: “It’s a football joke, don’t overthink it.”
“In the meantime millions in the UK are struggling to feed their families and heat their homes. Anyone think we have the wrong priorities?”
@Foxonaledge said: “Bad taste, Gary. Sexual assault is not something to joke about.”
In view of his 8.3 million followers, Gary, on Tuesday, also shared an article that clarified the news.
The article read: “#Breaking The Duke of York and Virginia Giuffre have reached a ‘settlement in principle’ in the civil sex claim filed in the US, court documents show.
Gary penned: “The inevitable settlement,” followed by a wide-eye emoji.
A document submitted to a US court said: “Virginia Giuffre and Prince Andrew have reached an out of court settlement.
“The parties will file a stipulated dismissal upon Ms Giuffre’s receipt of the settlement (the sum of which is not being disclosed).
“Prince Andrew intends to make a substantial donation to Ms. Giuffre’s charity in support of victims’ rights.”
Source: Read Full Article